Dr. Patricia Wexler
Why is having a skincare routine important to you? “A skincare routine gives me a plan that achieves my goals for the health and anti-aging of my skin.”
What are your skincare goals? “I have combination skin with a slightly oily T-zone. My skin care goals are to maintain healthy skin, repair and prevent sun damage, improve pigmentation, maintain good hydration and elasticity, and have a radiant complexion—while looking natural and age appropriate.”
DR. WEXLER’S DAILY ROUTINE:
“I am loyal to each of these products because, despite using them for years, they still work, continuing to get me compliments daily, and help me achieve my goals...
1. I use a water rinse in the shower. This is followed by NIA24 Intensive Recovery Complex. This formulation contains ceramides, peptides and proniacin to improve discoloration, promote tighter and brighter skin, and improve tone and texture. If I am very dehydrated, I may use SkinMedica HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator first, which is a blend of five different hyaluronic acids that not only hydrates your skin, but also stimulates it to make your own hyaluronic acid, for permanent results.
2. Then I apply Elta UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46 sunscreen followed by Patricia Wexler M.D. Dermatology Intensive Night Reversal & Repair Cream—I use this night cream during the day because it has the most therapeutic results. It contains vitamin C, E, retinol, peptides and MMPI technology, which inhibits the breakdown of collagen and elastic tissue, as well as stimulating new collagen and elastic tissue. Overall, it tightens, firms, and improves tone, texture and pigmentation.
3. I finish with my Patricia Wexler M.D. Dermatology 3-in-1 Eye Cream on my upper and lower lids twice-daily. This helps the thin skin of the eye area appear denser and healthier.
4. At night, I use Serge Lutens Make Up Remover Pads. These pads remove all traces of makeup on my face and eyes, leaving my skin soft, and moist.
5. I apply the same products from the morning—the NIA24 Intensive Recovery Complex, my Intensive Night Reversal & Repair, and 3-in-1 Eye Cream.
6. If I am very dry, I use the NIA24 Treatment Catalyst oil, which intensifies your other therapies and is fortified with niacin for exceptional radiance and hydration. I also occasionally use Natura Bissé Diamond Extreme Mask for extra firm tightening and lifting of my face and neck for a special event. It has highly concentrated hyaluronic acid, retinol, and marine DNA. It gives an amazing overnight ‘facelift.’”
Are you loyal to any pro services or treatments? “I have Ultherapy every two years, which is focused ultrasound energy, at the deep foundation layers of the skin, to lift and tighten my neck and jawline, and brows. I used Botulinum toxin [Botox] for 20 years, and no longer need it, as the muscles are no longer significantly active—lack of use weakens the muscles [naturally preventing wrinkles from forming].”
What treatment are you curious to try next? “I am personally curious to try a Dual Fraxel in combination with V beam. Although I do not have significant photo-damage, I would like to see what it would achieve on my mild pigmentation and dilated vessels. Time is so precious!”
Best skincare advice? “Washing your make-up off has always been a complaint of my patients, but make up remover pads have made it a 'no excuses' thing. All that free radical exposure sitting on your face at night is like going to bed with your shoes on!”
What other healthy habits are part of your routine? “It's a cliché, but I drink tons of water all day long to stay hydrated. I carry a Tumi UPF 50 sunbrella whenever there is sun. I wear polarized glasses, and Mott 50 UPF sport clothing when outside!”